Week 8 Readings

In this weeks readings, I found that there was a lot of useful stuff and terminology that will help me when it comes to writing my critical introduction. As the final project is creeping up, I am beginning to think about what exact readings and references I am going to want to use in my critical introduction, making sure that what I choose accurately reflects and and coincides with the theme of my project.

Cory Dzenko - The Indexical Function of the Photographic Image
This reading talks about the functions of the image and how it conveys meanings to its audiences.
The reading talks about the digital image, which is translated into code. The digital image is altered, printed and displayed during its editing; there becomes a lack of a "physical connection between a digital photograph's subject and image" which in turn suggests that the digital image serves as pure iconicity.
However, just because an image is a digital image, this does not negate its indexical function. Digital images become helpful to explore the vernacular sector of life.
This can be applied to my final project as I am focusing on something that is seen widely in society, thus creating an indexical function of my final project.
an essential part of the process by which meaning is produced
and exchanged between members of a culture. It
does
involve the use of language, of signs and
images which stand for or represent things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Photography - Week 7

Nightlife Photographers

Presentation - Week 4