Planning Process

Before taking my photos, I had to think of an efficient plan for my photos.
I had to ask myself questions on what it is I am trying to portray and create within my photography.

In my photos, I want to be able to reflect and celebrate the nightlife of Brighton.
I want to evoke a sense of excitement in my photos, by focusing on shadows and artificial lighting.
I want audiences to be able to relate and have a sense of familiarity with my photos.

I also had to consider a theme-related text and a photographer that could help me write a critical introduction.

A text I could relate to my own photography is Hito Steyerl, 'In Defence of the Poor Image'.  This is because for my photos I took them on my iPhone, mainly due to practical issues that prevented me from being able to bring a camera into a club/bar. 
Steyerl suggests how 'the poor image tends towards distraction: it is a visual idea in its very becoming'. This can relate to my images as most of them are photos of object and surroundings, not one specific thing. The idea of a 'poor' image could relate to the photographic device used to take my photos on. This relates to my theme overall as the idea of 'clubbing' and getting drunk may be seen as an adolescent and possibly lower class activity, appealing to a niche audience of people who want to go out.

As well as this, I could also relate my own photography to that of Dzenko, and the Indexical Function of Photographic Images. This argues that "digital photographs present a challenge to the indexicality of photographic media".  As I am using digital photographs, this means that my photos can be converted into many forms of data that have many different meanings for different audience, providing "fearful reactions". However, this could be disputed, as from my point of view the era of digital photographs and the indexicality of them provide an exciting exploration into new photographic media that gives access to areas that may have never been accessed before.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Photography - Week 7

Nightlife Photographers

Presentation - Week 4