Week 7 Readings

In Week 7, I revisited Hall to go back to some of his other texts and analysis' on photography. It was interesting to find his different perspectives on different parts of photography, particularly representation, and how this effects photography.

Stuart Hall: Representation
In this extract, Hall focuses on what it means to be represented and the language used when something or someone is being represented.
"Representation is an essential part of the process by which meaning is produced and exchanged between members of a culture. It does involve the use of language, of signs and images which stand for or represent things". This may be suggesting that Photography in particular plays a major role in creating certain representations, through the use of signs and images. When I was reading this, it made me wonder whether this could be a good or bad thing for different cultures who are being represented - is it appropriation or appreciation?

This reading made me question and think what it means by representation. I could then apply this to my own final project. What is it that I want to represent? Is there certain signs that I can capture that might suggest a specific meaning to my readers?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Photography - Week 7

Nightlife Photographers

Presentation - Week 4