Week 3 Readings
In this week, we were given more readings to help us understand further the ways in which photography helps everyday life and and its different affiliations with different areas. Although the readings prove to be quite difficult at points, I found that they were really insightful and helped develop my critical understanding of Photography.
Ways of Seeing: John Berger
Berger suggests that a photograph may have a different interpretation for each of it's reader, as we all have different ways of seeing and understanding an image. Photography was also one of the first concepts that actually revealed the truth, of what is in front of people; Berger even goes as far to state that Photography is more rich than art and literature, which can be argued to be true to some extent.
"The invention of the camera changed the way man saw". This suggests that with the development of the camera, the development of peoples critical thinking and analysis soared. This holds photography in a high chair, which I agree with, as it became the starting point for revolutionary thinking.
Overall, this reading was interesting as it combined art and photography to comment on the importance of the visual arts that helped make man.
I could combine this to my own work and when I start thinking about my final project. Do I want to create a photo that has different interpretations for different people, or do I want to have a standard photo that explains its meaning? Or would it be more interesting to create a photo that has many different interpretations?
Ways of Seeing: John Berger
Berger suggests that a photograph may have a different interpretation for each of it's reader, as we all have different ways of seeing and understanding an image. Photography was also one of the first concepts that actually revealed the truth, of what is in front of people; Berger even goes as far to state that Photography is more rich than art and literature, which can be argued to be true to some extent.
"The invention of the camera changed the way man saw". This suggests that with the development of the camera, the development of peoples critical thinking and analysis soared. This holds photography in a high chair, which I agree with, as it became the starting point for revolutionary thinking.
Overall, this reading was interesting as it combined art and photography to comment on the importance of the visual arts that helped make man.
I could combine this to my own work and when I start thinking about my final project. Do I want to create a photo that has different interpretations for different people, or do I want to have a standard photo that explains its meaning? Or would it be more interesting to create a photo that has many different interpretations?
Comments
Post a Comment