Week 2 Readings

In Week 2, we were given several readings that influenced how we read and understood photography, which were important as they helped me analyse photography in a different light.

Susan Sontag: On Photography
In this reading, Sontag asks about the moral and aesthetical issues concerning photography. She also discusses the power of a photograph; whether it can evoke feelings of shock, seduction or idolisation. She explores how we use photographs as a sense of reality in our lives that safeguard our feelings. In relation to Sontags work to my own photography, I would like to produce photography that evokes feelings of idolisation and enjoyment in the reader. I do not think I would like to focus on shocking my audience as this is not something I am interested in.

Clarke; The Photograph
Clarke focuses on how exactly we read a photograph. Interestingly, this text focuses on work of Diane Arbus, who is an artist that I may have to research for my presentation in Week 4. I can thus use these readings to heighten my knowledge and understanding of Arbus' works, using critical reading and references to talk and comment on her photography.
Another interesting component I found on this text is the mention of Roland Barhthes' Studium Punctum. Studium is defined as a "a king of general, enthusiastic committment"  whilst the Punctum is "a sting, speck, cut, little hole". Studium suggests a passive response to a photographs appeal, whereas Punctum allows for the formation of a critical reading.
I would like to be able to use this idea in my own photography, creating a Punctum that allows audiences to think about the meanings behind my images.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flash Photography - Week 7

Nightlife Photographers

Presentation - Week 4